Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Poison Tree - William Blake (Published in 1973)


This has been a wonderful poem that i have read in my school days and that still haunts my mind. Thanks to my teacher, she knew the exact hidden meaning of the poem and taught us the value hidden in it.


A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend;

I told my wrath, my wrath did end.

I was angry with my foe:

I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I waterd it in fears,

Night & morning with my tears:

And I sunned it with smiles,

And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.

Till it bore an apple bright

And my foe beheld it shine.

And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,

When the night had veild the pole;

In the morning glad I see;

My foe outstretchd beneath the tree


One should never fall behind to express their feelings either it is our friend or enemy. If we supress our feelings, it will take all our happiness and we will be left with tears and false smile. Finally something destructive will happen from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment